It’s summertime and you have cabin fever. It’s time to get out and leave your day-to-day cares behind and see something new. But, did you know that the majority of break-ins occur during the summer months because residents are on vacation or they leave a window open hoping to keep their home coole?
This summer protect your home when you go on vacation so you don’t come home to a disaster. Here are a number of suggestions that will help you secure your home and have more peace of mind as you relax and take time for yourself.
- Do not turn your lights off! This is a sure sign that no one is home, instead put your lights on a timer so that different rooms are lighted during different times of the evening and night.
- Make sure that a neighbor or friend is contacted to pick up your newspapers or anything else that could be left at your door or on your driveway.
- Notify a neighbor of your itinerary so someone knows when people should or shouldn’t be at your house.
- If you have a dog(s) and the weather permits, leave them in a fenced area with food and water and have a neighbor or friend take care of them. A dog that is kennelled won’t help defend your house.
- Close and lock all doors and windows but do not close all of your blinds and shades if you do not normally have them all closed, this can tip off a could-be burglar.
- Do not use social media to announce your vacation and don’t make any posts during your vacation that would let people know you are out of town.
- Lock all of your valuables in a safe place.
- Arm your security system and give your passcode and a key to a neighbor, friend or family member you trust to ensure someone can enter the house if needed. Another perk of having a security system with NorthStar is the ability to operate your system with Total Connect even when you are away from home. With Total Connect, you can arm/disarm and receive system notifications all from your mobile phone or internet device. What better way is there to monitor your home while on vacation?!